The sunset yesterday evening (Saturday, Sept. 27th) at Lake Wawasee, Indiana had to be one of the most spectacular ever seen here at the lake or anywhere else for that matter. Below is a progressive series of ten photos I took of it from the dock. Enjoy!
Below is my list of city names containing the largest percentage of vowels based on the English alphabet. Ocoee, Florida in suburban Orlando leads the pack with 80 percent vowels.
Those city names that are notably longer (a minimum of eight letters) with larger percentages of vowels are also identified, with the longest being Cape Girardeau, Missouri with 13 letters, seven of which are vowels and Kaunakakai, Hawaii with a total of ten letters, six of which are vowels. Please feel free to send along others that I may have missed.
- Ocoee, FL, USA = 80% vowels
- Apia, Samoa = 75% vowels
- Erie, PA and CO, USA = 75% vowels
- Iasi, Romania = 75% vowels
- La’ie, HI, USA = 75% vowels
- Ojai, CA, USA = 75% vowels
- Oulu, Finland = 75% vowels
- Umea, Sweden = 75% vowels
- Oraodea, Romania = 71.4% vowels
- Ushuaia, Argentina = 71.4% vowels in eight letters
- Waianae, HI, USA = 71.4% vowels
- Waialua, HI, USA = 71.4% vowels
- Ada, MI and OK, USA = 66.7% vowels
- Aurora, CO , USA = 66.7% vowels
- Aurora, IL, USA = 66.7% vowels
- Avarua, Cook Islands = 66.7% vowels
- Douala, Cameroon = 66.7% vowels
- Eau Claire, WI, USA = 66.7% vowels in nine letters
- Eureka, CA, USA = 66.7% vowels
- Gao, Mali = 66.7% vowels
- Haikou, China = 66.7% vowels
- Hauula, HI, USA = 66.7% vowels
- Juneau, AK, USA = 66.7% vowels
- Kalaoa, HI, USA = 66.7% vowels
- Oceano, CA, USA = 66.7% vowels
- Odo, Nigeria = 66.7% vowels
- Ojo, Nigeria = 66.7% vowels
- Oviedo, FL, USA = 66.7% vowels
- Taipei, Taiwan = 66.7% vowels
- Ufa, Russia = 66.7% vowels
- Wausau, WI, USA = 66.7% vowels
- Abeokuta, Nigeria = 62.5% vowels
- Adelaide, Australia = 62.5% vowels
- Gatineau, QC, Canada = 62.5% vowels
- Toulouse, France – 62.5% vowels
- Abuja, Nigeria = 60% vowels
- Beira, Mozambique = 60% vowels
- Boise, ID, USA = 60% vowels
- Bouar, Central African Republic = 60% vowels
- Cocoa, FL, USA = 60% vowels
- Enugu, Nigeria = 60% vowels
- Hanoi, Vietnam = 60% vowels
- Kaedi, Mauritania = 60% vowels
- Kapaa, HI, USA = 60% vowels
- Kaunakakai, HI, USA = 60% vowels in 10 letters
- Kihei, HI, USA = 60% vowels
- Lousavaara, Sweden = 60% vowels in 10 letters (Thank you Gosta)
- Luena, Angola = 60% vowels
- Macao, China = 60% vowels
- Miami, FL, USA = 60% vowels
- Orono, ME, USA = 60% vowels
- Osaka, Japan = 60% vowels
- Quito, Ecuador = 60% vowels
- Saana, Yemen = 60% vowels
- Zaria, Nigeria = 60% vowels
- Kiirunavaara, Sweden = 58.3% vowels (Thank you, Gosta)
- Riviere du Loup, QC, Canada = 58.3% vowels
- Caribou, ME, USA = 57.1% vowels
- Honiara, Solomon Islands = 57.1% vowels
- Iquitos, Peru = 57.1% vowels
- Kahului, HI, USA = 57.1% vowels
- Kalaheo, HI, USA = 57.1% vowels
- Lahaina, HI, USA = 57.1% vowels
- Makawao, HI, USA = 57.1% vowels
- Managua, Nicaragua = 57.1% vowels
- Nairobi, Kenya = 57.1% vowels
- Nanaimo, BC, Canada = 57.1% vowels
- Papeete, Tahiti = 57.1% vowels
- Wahiawa, HI, USA = 57.1% vowels
- Wailuku, HI. USA = 57.1% vowels
- Waipahu, HI, USA = 57.1% vowels
- Yaounde, Cameroon = 57.% vowels
- Yucaipa, CA, USA = 57.1% vowels
- Chihuahua, Mexico = 55.5% vowels
- Guayaquil, Ecuador = 55.5% vowels
- Jonquiere, QC, Canada = 55.5% vowels
- Milwaukee, WI, USA = 55.5% vowels
- Milwaukie, OR, USA = 55.5% vowels
- Zilwaukee, MI, USA = 55.5% vowels
- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA = 53.8% vowels in 13 letters
If you have not seen the movie Guardians of the Galaxy, please do. It is a fun and adventuresome cinematic treat for all ages. Among the cast of very likeable heroes is Groot, a walking sentient tree a la the Ents of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Groot is not your average walking tree character, he is a funny, soft-spoken, thoughtful, kind and generous being who frankly steals the show despite his limited vocabulary.
Without giving away too much of the storyline, in one scene Groot offers up a small flower to a child who is among those escaping from the film’s villains, while in another scene he saunters up to a prison control center and removes a needed object while his buddy Rocket is still in the midst of describing their impending escape plan. Needless to say, Groot initiates the plan well before anyone else is even close to being ready to act upon it.
Why can’t we all be more like Groot? He is willing to take chances. He shows empathy and emotion. He cares for and protects his friends in times of need. He is soft-spoken and not only carries a big stick, but literally is one that come to life! Groot is one of those wonderfully endearing fictional characters that not only appears in a movie, but comes to epitomize the entire film. I, for one cannot wait to see the next installment. Kudos to the film makers, writers, and to Vin Diesel for an excellent job in bringing Groot to life before our eyes.
“Puppy, puppy, puppy.” That’s the call we heard from the Jack Russell Terrier breeder in Belleville, Michigan as we were first introduced to her litter of puppies in the fall of 1996. In response to the call, out from the barn came bounding a delightful litter of darling Jack Russell Terrier puppies who had been born back on August 21st. You could have sworn it was a scene out of 101 Dalmatians.
Among these tumbling, bumbling, rolling, polling bundle of energy, was a sweet, four-spotted (on her back) female that all of us fell in love with instantly. A few days later, Kellie was ours and we begin and nearly 18 year love affair with this fun-loving, hilarious, and goofy dog.
As a Jack Russell Terrier, she was full of endless energy, which worked well for a household with three boys. Most memorable were her welcomes home, as she would tear through the entire house in excitement, up and down the stairs, from one room to another, around and around like a wound-up toy gone wild. It was simply hilarious to watch. Even in her senior years, she still showed snippets of such enthusiasm, though more running around the first floor and kitchen than the entire house.
Other joyous memories include Kellie:
- Chasing a soccer ball as a puppy with the boys in the back yard – it was much larger than her;
- Sitting up on her bum and begging for food by moving her front paws up and down (see first photo at top of the post);
- Barking at the waves on the lake;
- Occasionally taking a dip in the lake;
- Lying in sunbeams where ever they were around the house – I used to call her “beamer dog;”
- Snuggling up next to you or on your chest while taking a nap;
- Chasing flickers of light on the kitchen floor;
- Licking the hardwood floors – I have no idea why;
- Always insisting on riding in the front seat of the car;
- Nearly catching a squirrel who was raiding our bird feeder;
- Actually knowing which birds we didn’t like at the feeder (house sparrows, starlings, and crows) and barking at only them;
- De-fuzzing tennis balls bit by bit;
- Chasing balls across the house and then trying to slide to a stop on the wood floor; and
- Many, many more.
I will always treasure each and every moment that Kellie was a part of our lives. She was the sweetest pet anyone could ever hope for and personified goodness. Rest in peace, dear Kellie – I love you!
We had a grand old time Saturday afternoon with more than 109,300 of our closest friends watching the friendly match between Manchester United and Real Madrid in the Big House (Michigan Stadium) in Ann Arbor.
It was the largest crowd for a soccer match in United States history and the teams did not disappoint – a picture perfect bicycle kick shot on goal by Real Madrid, superb crosses and passes by Man U, dazzling footwork by Renaldo, and a halftime performance by The Fray. In the end, it was Man U who stole the show with a 3-1 victory, as their fans happily sang “Glory, Glory Man United.“
Cheers and thank you to both teams for bringing the beauty and excitement of Champions League soccer to Michigan!
Temples absolutely kicked arse last night (July 30th) on the Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon performing “Shelter Song” from their awesome debut album entitled Sun Structures. Here’s a weblink to the video of their performance. Enjoy!
Below are a series of six lovely sunsets taken this past week (Monday thru Saturday) at Lake Wawasee, Indiana.