You may have seen the Small Business Saturday advertisements recently. November 26th, the Saturday after Thanksgiving is is the second annual “Small Business Saturday.” Even though a huge company (American Express) is the primary sponsor, I find the goal to be admirable and commendable. Shopping at local businesses is an important way to strengthen your community’s economy. Below is a list of ten reasons why it is smart and important to shop local businesses from Greater Lansing’s Capital Area Local First organization.
- “Unique businesses are in integral part of our distinctive character.
- Local business owners invest in the community.
- Non-profits receive greater support from local business owners than from non-local.
- Environmental impact is reduced (local businesses make more local purchases requiring less transportation and usually set up shop in town centers rather than on the fringe. This generally means contributing less to sprawl, congestion, habitat loss, and pollution.).
- Competition and diversity leads to more consumer choices.
- Most new jobs are provided by local businesses.
- Public benefits far outweigh public costs.
- Customer service is better.
- Investment in the Capital Area is encouraged.
- Significantly more money circulates in the region (73 percent versus 43 percent).”
Obviously, anytime we make a purchase decision, we should consider local businesses too, not just on “Small Business Saturday.””