I bought my copy of The Joy Formidable’s new album entitled Wolf’s Law at lunch time. I have been eagerly awaiting its release since impressive videos of “Wolf’s Law” and “This Ladder is Ours” were made available for viewing in the fall.
Wolf’s Law album contains absolutely stellar lyrics and instrumentally kicks some serious (formidable) ass. The band – Ritzy Bryan, Rhydian Dafydd, and Matt Thomas have taken the greatness of The Big Roar and lifted their performances to even a higher plane of musical excellence. WOW!
I continue to be amazed how powerful a three-person band can sound, though being a part of the Rush generation, I guess it should not be that surprising after many years of Geddy Lee and friends. Still, The Joy Formidable seems to take rock to a whole new level of ear-blasting, head-banging, and mind-blowing fun.
There are no bad songs on this 12 track release (including one bonus tune). My favorite songs on the new album after several listens to the CD are:
- “This Ladder is Ours” – seriously cool song and video
- “Wolf’s Law” (bonus track) powerful
- “The Leopard and the Lung”
- “Silent Treatment” – acoustic guitars and Ritzy’s lovely voice as a gentle interlude
- The Turnaround” – terrific song to wrap up the album
- “Forest Serenade”
- “The Hurdle” – “all the debris we’re certain to leave”
- “Maw Maw Song” – rocks your socks off ala Ozzy
Each time I listen to The Joy Formidable I have to praise and thank Wales for sharing their enormous talent with all of us. Thank you, thank you, thank you. The world is a better place with The Joy Formidable filling it with remarkable music.
p.s. It’s sure gonna be hard for anyone to top this album in 2013.