Just some fun and hopeful thoughts on a better, safer, cleaner world. Many of these ideas are not as far-fetched as they sound (see weblinks). Enjoy!
- New SUVs would be outlawed and the owners of existing ones forced to enlist in the military so they can go fight for the stupid oil they are addicted to.
- Semis, delivery vehicles, transit buses, farm machinery, and intercity buses would be required to convert their entire fleet to hybrid and/or electric models within 10 years.
- Hybrid/electric lawn mowers, all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, motorcycles, boats, and wave riders would be commonplace, affordable, and required.
- All driver’s education training would be done using hybrid/electric vehicles.
- All new homes would be constructed with a minimum 440 amp plug in the garage for quicker vehicle recharging.
- Apartments and condos would be required to provide recharging stations at no extra cost to tenants.
- Alternative fuel vehicles would receive preferential parking places, discounts on toll roads, and automatic allowance in HOV lanes.
- All remaining SUVs and other gas guzzlers not getting a minimum of 40 mpg on the highway would pay at least 50 cents more per gallon for gasoline.
- An artist will create a “Hummer Heaven” monument akin to “Cadillac Ranch” along a lonely stretch of highway to remind us of our past wasteful sins.
- Big Oil would be broken up into smaller entities (and hopefully fade away into the dustbin of history).
- Only non-utilities and non-oil companies would be allowed to provide the recharging infrastructure – preferably through non-profit entities or electric cooperatives.
- Coal-fired power plants would be prohibited as a source of electricity for motor vehicles.
- Electric recharging stations will be required to be powered by solar, wind, biomass, tides, or other clean energy option.
- All highway rest areas would include at charging stations like is being employed along Interstate 5 in Washington State.
- We would all be San Diego Chargers’ fans. : )