Below is a satellite image of the Grasberg Mine amid the snowy high peaks of far eastern Indonesia. To the right of the mine itself are several glaciers. Hopefully neither the existing mine and/or any future extension(s) will harm the glaciers, which are quite uncommon at this equatorial latitude. Global warming is melting them away all too fast as it is. Sadly, there has been environmental damage resulting from tailings runoff into rivers from this mine.
- “A Handmaid’s Tale” – Is fiction becoming reality?
- Two downtown pedestrian malls that work and work very well
- America’s most beautiful downtown – my vote is St. Augustine
- Michigan’s ‘skyscraper’ coastal sand dunes
- America’s oddest air terminal
- From protective to active – repurposing historic city walls
- The Strongest Town Contest – Championship Round
- Combating the bus transit snobs
- “The D” in our destiny is Detroit
- Oldest continuously inhabited community per state
- 609,532 hits