We often hear about the highest elevations cities in the world, but far less often of the lowest. Below is a list of 26 of the lowest cities, all below sea level. If any additions are known, please feel free to pass them along.
Interesting tidbits from this data include Georgetown, Guyana being the lowest national capital city and the only one situated below sea level; Baku, Azerbaijan being the largest city located below sea level; and Jericho being the lowest city in elevation.
- Jericho, Palestinian Authority: −258 m (−846 ft) = lowest city in the world.
- Tiberias, Israel: −207 m (−679 ft)
- Bet She’an, Israel: −120 m (−394 ft)
- Bombay Beach, CA, USA: −69 m (−226 ft)
- Salton Sea Beach, CA, USA: −67 m (−220 ft)
- Desert Shores, CA, USA: −61 m (−200 ft)
- Calipatria, CA, USA: −56 m (−184 ft)
- Westmorland, CA, USA: −48 m (−157 ft)
- Niland, CA, USA: −43 m (−141 ft)
- Salton City, CA, USA: −38 m (−125 ft)
- Brawley, CA, USA: −37 m (−121 ft)
- Thermal, CA, USA: −37 m (−121 ft)
- Baku, Azerbaijan – 28 m (-92 ft) = largest below sea level city – Thank you, Joe!
- Coachella, CA, USA: −22 m (−72 ft)
- Imperial, CA, USA: −18 m (−59 ft)
- Seeley, CA, USA: −13 m (−43 ft)
- El Centro, CA, USA: −12 m (−39 ft)
- Indio, CA, USA: −6 m (−20 ft)
- Haarlemmermeer, Netherlands: −5 m (−16 ft)
- Heber, CA, USA: −5 m (−16 ft)
- Neuendorf-Sachsenbande, Germany: −4 m (−13 ft)
- Le Contane, Italy: −3.44 m (−11.3 ft)
- Holtville, CA, USA: −3 m (−10 ft)
- Georgetown, Guyana: −2 m (−7 ft) = lowest national capital
- Kristianstad, Sweden: −2 m (−7 ft)
- New Orleans, LA, USA: −2 m (−7 ft)