Below is a list of the largest cities in the world with the word “fort” in their name – while most are associated with a “fort,” there are a few that only have fort in their name by happenstance. Florida leads the way in the United States with six cities on the list; Colorado with three; and Alberta, Iowa, and Texas with two each.
The cities are ranked by the core city population, not by metropolitan area and must have a minimum population of 5,000 residents to be included (based on the most recent census. Those shown in italics are part of a metropolitan area exceeding 1,000,000 residents.
While 22 nations were represented by “port” cities, only six are included here. Perhaps other terms were utilized like “castle” or “citadel,” in some cases forts were not necessary, or the fort’s name did not transfer over to the name of the community. Any additions or corrections to the list are most welcome.
- Fortaleza, Brazil = 2,571,896
- Fort Worth, TX = 741,206
- Fort Wayne, IN = 253,691
- Fort Lauderdale, FL = 165,521
- Fort Collins, CO = 143,986
- Fort Smith, AR = 86,209
- Fort-de-France, Martinique = 85,667
- Fort Myers, FL = 65,725
- Fort McMurray, AB = 61,374
- Fort Portal, Uganda = 54,275 (added 12/19/19)
- Fort Pierce, FL = 41,590
- North Fort Myers, FL = 36,609
- Fort Lee, NJ = 35,345
- Fort Beaufort, South Africa = 25,668 (double fort city name)
- Frankfort, KY = 25,527
- Fort Dodge, IA = 25,206
- Fort Walton Beach, FL = 19,507
- Fort Saskatchewan, AB = 19,051
- Fort St. John, BC = 18,609
- Frankfort, IN = 16,422
- Fort Thomas, KY = 16,325
- El Fuerte, Mexico = 12,566
- Beaufort, SC = 12,361
- Fortuna, California = 11,926
- Fort Morgan, CO = 11,315
- Fort Madison, IA = 11,051
- Fort Oglethorpe, GA = 9,994 (2019 est.) – Thank you, Andrew (added 5/6/21)
- Fort Stockton, TX = 8,535
- Fort Scott, KS = 8,087
- Fort Frances, ON = 7,952
- Fort Lupton, CO = 7,377
- Fort Bragg, CA = 7,273
- Fort Myers Beach, FL = 6,277
- Fort Myers Shores, FL = 5,487
Ft. Oglethorpe, GA pop: 9,994(2019)
Thank you – will add.
It’s now on the list.