Provided below is information on those airports which were owned and/or operated by Curtiss Aviation, later Curtiss-Wright Aviation prior to and just after the onset of the Great Depression. These airports were the earliest attempt at privatized airport ownership in the United States, something that remains a rarity here compared to Europe, Asia, and Australia. New information on Raleigh provided below.
Baltimore: Curtiss-Wright/Pimlico Airport – 260 acres – formerly at the SW corner of Green Spring and Smith Roads.
Chicago (Glenview) – Curtiss-Reynolds Field – 130 acres – opened October 20, 1929, just nine days prior to the Wall Street Crash – became Glenview Naval Air Station in 1940.
Cleveland: Curtiss-Wright Airport – 660 acres (originally 271 acres) in Richmond Heights – still in operation as Cuyahoga County Airport.
Dallas- Fort Worth (Grand Prairie): Curtiss-Wright Airport – 275 acres at Jefferson Street and Carrier Parkway. The site was acquired by the Navy in 1942 and has since been developed.
Denver: Curtiss Aviation Field – 330 acres – later Park Hill Airport, then Hayden Airport, and now the site has been developed – the field was situated on Colorado Boulevard in the NE section of the city
Houston: could not locate information other than an advertisement which indicated they had an airport here.
Los Angeles (Glendale): Grand Central Air Terminal – purchased by Curtiss-Wright in 1929. The buildings still remain and are owned by Disney, but the runway is now Grand Central Avenue.
Louisville: other than a Curtiss-Wright Flying Service facility at Bowman Field, no other information has been found.
Milwaukee: Curtiss-Wright Field – opened in 1930 on 131 acres and sold in 1945 – now known as Timmerman Airport – still in operation as a general aviation facility.
Minneapolis-St. Paul (Falcon Heights): Curtiss Northwest Airport or Curtiss Twin City Airport – established in 1919 and closed in 1930 – the site is now developed, though a portion of it is occupied by Curtiss Field Park. This was Minnesota’s first full-service airport.
- Glen H. Curtiss/North Beach Airport – now La Guardia Airport
- Valley Stream, NY – Curtiss Airfield – 270 acres- purchased in 1929 and closed in 1933 due to the depression. Site is now occupied by shopping centers.
- Caldwell, NJ – Curtiss-Wright Airport – shut down operations in 1933 – became Caldwell Airport shortly afterwards – now known as the Essex County airport.
- South Plainfield, NJ – Hadley Airport
Oakland (Alameda): Alameda Airport – opened in 1927 and included a seaplane base – operated by Curtiss, but not owned by them. Converted to Alameda Naval Air Station in 1940.
Oklahoma City (The Village): Curtiss-Wright Field – 160 acres – later Wiley Post Airport, but now the site has been built over with subdivisions.
Pittsburgh (West Mifflin): Curtiss-Bettis Field – 144 acres – sold in 1949 and replaced by Allegheny County Airport – redeveloped as the site of the Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory.
Raleigh: Curtiss Field – opened in 1929 and later became Raleigh Municipal Airport – closed in 1973.
San Francisco (Belmont): Curtiss-Wright Airport – 114 acres – the airport closed in the early-mid 1950s and the site is now developed.