Who doesn’t love potato chips? They are a staple of many lunches, dinners, and snacks. While there are some behemoth potato chip companies such as Frito-Lay and Pringles, fortunately there remain a number of local and regional producers.
Here’s a list of them, the city where they were founded, and years of operation. Like so many industries, there has been consolidation and some departures. Two regional players have grown to such an extent, mostly through acquisitions, that many might consider them national too – Snyder’s-Lance and Utz.
Based on these producers, the epicenters of potato chip production include the following regions:
- Southeast Pennsylvania: 9-10 companies depending on where you draw the line
- Southeast Michigan: 6 companies
- Northern Illinois: 5 companies
- Southern California and Colorado Front Range: 4 companies
Those that are shown in italics have been sampled by the author. To date, my favorite chips are produced by Great Lakes Potato Chips, though there are many left to taste.
My favorite potato chip brand names in alphabetical order are:
- Barrel O’ Fun
- Better Made
- Broad Ripple
- Dan Dee
If you know of any overlooked it missing potato chip makers, past or present, please pass the info along for inclusion. Enjoy!
- Alaska – Anchorage, AK (2003-present)
- Amazing – Indianapolis, IN (1993-present)
- Art & Mary’s – Cheney, KS (unknown-present)
- Atebara/Hawaiian Island Gourmet – Hilo, HI (1936-present)
- Bachman – Reading (Wyomissing), PA – division of Utz since 2013
- Backer’s – Fulton MO (1931-present)
- Ballreich’s – Tiffin, OH (1920-present)
- Barrel O’Fun – Canton (Massillon), OH – division of Shearer’s Foods since 2016
- Better Made – Detroit, MI (1930-present)
- Bickel’s – York (Hanover), PA (1950s-present)- division of Hanover Foods since 1998
- Blair’s – Jersey Shore, NJ (1989-present)
- Bob’s Texas Style – Phoenix, AZ (1983-present) – division of Utz since 2017
- Bop’s – Hornell, NY (2001-present)
- Boulder Canyon – Boulder, CO (1994) – now part of Utz
- Brim’s – Memphis (Bartlett), TN (1979-present)
- Broad Ripple – Indianapolis, IN (2013-present)
- Brother Kane – Atlanta, GA (unknown-2014)
- California – Oxnard, CA (2000-2018)
- Cape Cod – Hyannis, MA (1980-present) division of Snyder’s-Lance since 1999
- Carolina Kettle – Raleigh, NC (2017-present)
- Cawley’s Potato Chips/Tater Flakes- Scottsbluff, NE (1921-1983) – Thank you, Mark!
- Charles – Baltimore, MD though originally from Lancaster, PA (1942-present)
- Chickadee Potato Chips – Whately MA (Late 1960s-1973) – Thank you, John!
- Chip Peddler – Durango, CO – current status unknown – was struck by a vehicle in 2016
- Classic – San Francisco, CA (1923-2017?)
- Clover Club – Salt Lake City (Clearfield), UT (1938-present) division of Tyson Foods since 2013
- Conn’s – Zanesville, OH (1935-present)
- Dakota Style – Clark, SD (1985-present)
- Dan Dee – Cleveland, OH – originated in Braddock, PA (1913-present) division of Hanover Foods since 2008
- Deep River – New London (Old Lyme), CT (2001-present)
- De-Lish-Us – Waupaca, WI (1932-present)
- Denver Chip Company (2017-present) – Thank you, Markmcsw! Interestingly, started by the sons of the founder of Broad Ripple Chip Co. in Indianapolis – like Peyton Manning, they headed west.
- Detroit Friends – Detroit, MI (2014-present)
- Dieffenbach’s – Reading (Wormelsdorf), PA (1964-present)
- Diego’s – Centennial, CO (1970s-present)
- Dirty – Memphis, TN (1987-present) now a division of Utz
- Doctor Dredd’s – Washington (Glen Echo), MD (status unknown)
- Door County – Green Bay (Sister Bay), WI
- Downey’s – Detroit (Waterford), MI (1984-present)
- Fox Family – Houlton-Presque Isle (Blaine), ME (1990s-present)
- Garden of Eatin’ – Boulder, CO (1970s-present)
- Gibble’s – Hagerstown (Greencastle), PA (1959-2013, 2014-present)
- Glenny’s – Freeport, NY (unknown-2017?)
- Golden Flake – Birmingham, AL (1923- present)
- Golden Fluff – Lakewood, NJ (pre-2001-present)
- Good’s – Reading (Adamstown), PA (1886-present)
- Great Lakes – Traverse City (Williamsburg), MI (2010-present)
- Grippo’s – Cincinnati, OH (1919-present)
- Guy’s – Overland Park, KS (1938-present)
- Hartley’s – Lewistown, PA (1935-present)
- Herr’s – Philadelphia (Nottingham), PA (1946-present)
- Humpty Dumpty – Scarborough ME (1947) – Sold and now headquartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba – Thank you, John!
- Hunt’s – Braintree, MA (1919-1983) – Thank you, Jack!
- Husman’s – (1919-present) Peoria, IL – a division of Pinnacle Food Group since 2009
- Jackson’s Honest – Crested Butte, CO (2012-present)
- Jay’s – Chicago, IL (1927-present)
- Joe Chips – Newark (Upper Montclair), NJ (unknown-present)
- Jones’ – Mansfield, OH (1945-present)
- Jr. Taters – Findlay, PH (2019-present) – Thank you, Mark!
- Kettle – Charlotte, NC (1982-present) – a division of Snyder’s-Lance since 2017
- Kitchen Cooked – Farmington, IL (1930s-present)
- Kona – Captain Cook, HI (1991-present)
- Laurel Hill – Providence (Attleboro), MA (1965-2017)
- Laura Scudder’s – Los Angeles (Newport Beach), CA (1925-present)
- Lesser Evil – Danbury, CT (2004-present)
- Lowcountry Kettle Chips – North Charleston, SC (?-present)
- Madhouse Munchies – Burlington (South Burlington), VT (1996-2014)
- Manischewitz – Newark, NJ (1888-present)
- Martin’s – York (Thomasville), PA (1941-present)
- Maui – Kahului, HI (1956-present)
- McClure’s Pickles – Detroit, MI (no longer advertised on their website)
- Michael’s – Providence (Cranston), RI (status unknown)
- Michael Season’s (unknown-2014)
- Middleswarth – Beavertown, PA (1942-present)
- Mikesell’s – Dayton, OH (1910 – present)
- Mister Bee – Parkersburg, WV (1951- present)
- Mitchum – Charlotte, NC (1936-present)
- Moore’s – Bristol (Abingdon), VA (1924-1989) – now part of Wise
- Morgan Handmade Rations – Denver, CO
- Mrs. Fisher’s – Rockford, IL (1932-present)
- Mrs. Mikes – Rockford (Freeport), IL (1971-present)
- Nathan’s Famous -New York City, NY (1916-present) a division of Utz since 2017
- New York – Gainesville, NY (1943-present)
- Nick’s – Detroit (Warren), MI (1970s-present)
- North Fork – Long Island, NY (1970s-present)
- Old Dutch – St. Paul, MN (1934-present)
- Old Vienna – St. Louis, MO (1936-present)
- Ole Salty’s – Rockford (Loves Park), IL (2012-present)
- One Potato Two Potato – Reading (Womelsdorf), PA (1960s-present)
- Popchips – Los Angeles (Playa Vista), CA (2007-present)
- Poore Brothers – Phoenix, AZ (1986-present) – a division of Utz since 2017
- Route 11 – Harrisonburg (Mount Jackson), VA (1992-present)
- Rusty’s – Los Angeles (Balboa Island), CA (1980-present)
- Saratoga – Saratoga Springs, NY (1853-present)
- Seyfert’s – Fort Wayne, IN (1934-2018) division of Hanover Foods since 2008
- Snapz – (2004-present)
- Star Potato Chip Company – Culver City, CA (1940-50’s) – Thank you, Thomas!
- State Line – Springfield (Wilbraham), MA (1919-present)
- Sterzing’s – Burlington, IA (1935-present)
- Symphony – Atlanta, GA (2015-present)
- Tasty Taters – Findlay, OH (931-1978) – Thank you, Mark!
- Terra – New York City, NY (1990-2017)
- Terrell’s – Syracuse, NY (1961-present)
- The Billy Goat – St. Louis, MO (2002-present)
- Tim’s Cascade – Seattle (Auburn), WA (1986-present) – now a division of Pinnacle Foods
- Tom’s – Columbus, GA (1925-present) – division of Snyder’s-Lance since 2005
- Treat Potato Chip Co. – Riverhead, NY (1952-1972 approx.) – Thank you, Grande!
- Tri-Sum – Leominster, MA (1908-present)
- Troyer Farms – Erie (Waterford), PA (unknown-2008) plant owned/operated by KLN Familty Brands since 2014
- Uncle Ray’s – Detroit, MI (1983-present)
- Utz – York (Hanover), PA (1921-present)
- Vitner’s – Chicago, IL (1926-present)
- Wachusett Potato Chips – Fitchburg MA – 1939 – present (Bought but Utz in 2011) Also made chips for Cumberland Farms store brand – Thank you, John!
- Wise – Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (Berwick), PA (1921-present)
- Zapp’s – New Orleans (Gramercy), LA (1985-present) a division of Utz since 2010
New Era was my favorite brand of potato chips. Frito-Lay took it over, and their current chips are similar to New Era – but not exactly, and I still know they are different. I still wish F-L would use the old New Era recipe!
LikeLiked by 1 person
here in northwest Iowa in the 1950s it was Hiland potato chips and Kitty Clover potato chips. I dont know where they were made.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Will try to find out – thank you.
There was a potato chip company called Up to Date back in the mid-60’s, in the Ohio region, my mother used to work there.
I have a ” The New Era scientifically processed potato chips” one pound tin. Also on the can is “Healthful Food….On the Alkaline Side”. My can is identical to those mfg by the Nicolay Dancy Inc. in Detroit except my can says “The Frito Co. New Era Division Chicago, Ill. Nowhere in the Fritos-Lays history is it mentioned or the Nicolay Dancy Inc. history can I find The Frito Co. New Era Divusion Chicago, Ill.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Snyder’s of Berlin seems to be missing. It may be under Pinacle now. I am unsure about that. It is still in operation just a few miles down the road from me.
Yes, that is why I didn’t include them. Thank you – still love their snacks.
Humpty Dumpty – Scarborough ME (1947) – Sold and now headquartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba
Chickadee Potato Chips – Whately MA – ~ Late 1960s to ~ 1973
Wachusett Potato Chips – Fitchburg MA – 1939 – present (Bought but Utz in 2011) Also made chips
for Cumberland Farms store brand
Thank you, John – I will add them. Greenfield has been added to the other post too.
Denver Chip Co. chips are amazing! Huge chips, caramelized Russet chips.
It has been added. It’s interesting to see Denver Chip Co. was started by the sons of the founded of Broad Ripple Chip Co in Indy.when I was a toddler I lived in the Broad Ripple area.
Treat Potato Chip Co. Riverhead, NY. From 1952-1972 (approx.). Factory was right in the middle of the potato fields.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you – I will add it today.
Star Potato Chip Co. Culver City, CA 1940-50’s
Thank you. Will add it today.
Tasty Taters operated in Findlay, OH from 1931-1978. JR’s Taters opened in March 2019, attempting to create potato chips that closely match the original Tasty Taters.
Thank you, Mark. Both have been added.
Hunts in Braintree, MA operated from 1919 to 1983 (a fire destroyed the factory). They came in bags at stores but if we were having a party my mom would buy a drum full of them at the factory.
Thank you – will add it today!
Pingback: America’s Favorite Regional Potato Chip Brands [Map]VinePair - Foodfeedz
Pingback: America’s Favorite Regional Potato Chip Brands [Map] | Nonsynchronous
Cawley’s Potato Chips made in Scottsbluff, Nebraska until sometime in late 1960s-early 1970s. Delicious and every school-aged child in town made a visit to tour the factory at some point.
Thank you, Mark. I have updated the post.
Pingback: America's Favorite Regional Potato Chip Brands [Map] | News Logged
Rex Potato Chips. My dad was a distributor in the 50’s in New England.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Kitchen Cooked Potato Chips of Farmington Illinois is a great local brand. Only recently sold outside of its home market in west central Illinois.
History is here:
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you, Ralph for sending the information.