There are many fine examples of art deco or art moderne design. But to this planner, one the most impressive art deco structures anywhere is the former Knapp’s Department Store, which adorns south Washington Square in downtown Lansing, Michigan. Completed in 1938, the 190,000 square foot national register building will soon to reopen as the re-christened Knapp’s Office Centre. Congratulations to all the individuals, businesses, and organizations in Greater Lansing that made this successful historic preservation and adaptive reuse effort happen. Well done!
- Temples of Jazz – The Ballrooms
- It all ends up in the lake…or the bay…or the stream
- Geography of the Jazz Age in North America
- Ten Planning Lessons from Detroit’s Corktown Neighborhood
- Crafting a Perfect Brewery Name, Logo, and Slogan
- Mapping America’s Dumping Grounds
- Food Truck Names Based on Musicians or Songs
- Smaller Cities with Taller Skylines
- “Bu-tte-ful” Town Names
- Should Struggling Cities Be Renamed?
- 1,024,120 hits